The revealing interview aired in Ireland and the UK last night …
The highly anticipated Oprah interview with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, was aired on RTÉ2 at 9.30pm last night. The exclusive interview was filmed in the garden of a mutual friend of both Oprah and the couple’s near their home in California. Here are some of the key points of discussion if you missed the interview. Warning: there are spoilers ahead.
– Meghan Markle reveals she suffered with her mental health while pregnant with her first child, Archie, born in 2019. Speaking in the interview which aired in Ireland and the UK last night, Meghan said: “I was really ashamed to say it at the time, and ashamed to have to admit it, to Harry especially, because I know how much loss he suffered, but I knew that if I didn’t say it, I would do it. I just didn’t want to be alive anymore. And that was a very clear and real and frightening constant thought.”
– Meghan revealed that when she was pregnant with Archie an unnamed member of the royal family raised “concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be”. Harry added: “That conversion, I am never going to share. At the time it was awkward, I was a bit shocked.”
– Asked why the couple chose to leave England and their responsibilities and duties as senior members of the Royal family, Harry cited a “lack of support and lack of understanding”. Meghan said her one regret was “believing them when they said I would be protected”.
– Both Meghan and Harry say they are both still very close with Her Majesty The Queen and have regular phone calls and even a couple of Zoom calls over the past year so that she could see Archie.
– Harry reveals that his father stopped taking his calls, his relationship with his brother William is strained (“The relationship is space at the moment. And time heals all things, hopefully.”), and he was cut off financially at the beginning of 2020 and left without security. Harry says his father and brother are “trapped” within the system.
– Parallels were drawn with the current situation and that of Princess Diana, “My biggest concern was history repeating itself,” Harry said, referring to his mother, adding “I just wished that we would all learn from the past.”
– Harry claimed that there is an “invisible” contract between the tabloid media in the UK and the Royal family. Meghan added “holiday parties are hosted at the palace” for the tabloid press. Meghan said she was disappointed that The Firm “were willing to lie to protect other members of the family, but they weren’t willing to tell the truth to protect me and my husband.”
– Meghan and Harry revealed they are expecting a baby girl later this year.
Sign up to our MAILING LIST now for a roundup of the latest fashion, beauty, interiors and entertaining news from THE GLOSS MAGAZINE’s daily dispatches.