We’re in back to school mode – and despite the crazy (and magnificent) summer sunshine, we’re still thinking ahead to cooler mornings and new season looks, scents and skincare. Here are six picks of the best beauty for the months ahead …
1. There’s something about myrrh … it always makes me think of that scene in Life of Brian – “Don’t worry too much about the myrrh next time”. It has an aromatic, slightly spicy, earthy smell that’s perfect for the cooler months. The Lauder brands are championing it for winter with some blends that sound pretty intoxicating: Tom Ford Myrrhe Mystère is described as a woody amber, with vanilla (€330 for 50ml; from September 18 at counters nationwide).
Le Labo note that myrrh is a resin that was once “more valuable than gold” – it feels like it kind of still is, when you consider the perfume prices: Le Labo Myrrhe 55 starts from €125 for a tiny 15ml; 50ml is €300, though it’s worth knowing that bottles of 50ml and above can be refilled for 20 per cent less. Jo Malone London has a Cologne Intense with Myrrh & Tonka (from €120). We’ll take these over gold and frankincense anytime…
2. The upcoming Nars holiday collection (limited edition) includes this All That Glitters cheek colour palette (€63, from October 1 at counters nationwide). Personally, I only use cream blushers now – specifically Westman Atelier Lit Up stick, Chanel Baume Essentiel and Jones Road Miracle Balm – but when it comes to powder blushers, Nars do some of the best shades. www.narscosmetics.eu
3. A great eyeliner is a must this season – and that means a silky, glide-on texture and good staying power. And preferably, some interesting shades to change things up a bit. If, like me, you don’t get on well with eyeshadow, you need to know your eyeliners. While I’m partial to Victoria Beckham’s liners – so sleek – I also love these waterproof ones made in Germany for Hildun, an Irish-owned brand. So we welcome the new Emerald and Pecan shades currently €33 for both) with open eyes. www.hildunbeauty.com
4. I just spotted that Net-a-Porter is now stocking Auteur. I have this German skincare range in my bathroom and love it; I was introduced to it by Olga Kochlewska, of Skin by Olga, who’s stocked it since April 2022. And when she raves about something, you know it’s worth a try. I love the glass bottles – the huge lids are quite extra, but very lovely – and especially rate the gentle but effective powder Enzyme Cleanser, €158. www.skinbyolga.ie
5. We’ve recently discovered Pestle & Mortar’s Nimbu body care. The range includes a lotion, cleanser, butter and scrub, all with a subtle citrus scent. Try the luxurious Body Butter, with avocado oil and turmeric, for a skin rescue that hydrating without being greasy, or too thick. The Nimbu range starts from €24, at www.pestleandmortar.com
6. Skin in need of a wake-up call? We love anything “Flash” by Clarins – the Beauty Flash Balm remains a cult classic – and this new Beauty Flash Fresh Ampoule Vitamin C is an equally fast-worker. It’s a focused skin-brightening treatment that can work wonders in just a week (you activate it only when you’re about to use). €42, at Clarins Boutique & Spa on Wicklow Street, Clarins stockists nationwide; www.clarins.ie.