WHAT MAKES A “BEST SHOP”?
While a shop may not be outstanding by every criterion, it should be standout in the majority. The best shopkeeper knows how to pull the following strands together to create a compelling shop.
- THE SHOPFRONT The first impression of a shop. The shopfront piques the customer’s curiosity and draws them in.
- THE WINDOW DISPLAY An opportunity to demonstrate wit and humour as well as the unusual and interesting. A beautiful or surprising hint of what is inside.
- THE MERCHANDISE How unique is the offering? Have you see it before elsewhere? A sense of discovery is very important.
- THE MERCHANDISING How products and merchandising are thoughtfully and intentionally displayed within the shop – Aladdin’s Cave-style or modern and museum-like?
- THE BRANDING The story of the shop as told through its branding, packaging, signage and social media. Strong branding works well across all formats, from shopfront to products, from shopping bags to a consistent Instagram account.
- THE SHOPKEEPER OR SHOPKEEPERS Their unique point of view, their knowledge of what they are selling, their personality and their skill at managing a small business. The shopkeeper creates a “best shop.”
SEARCH FOR THE BEST SHOPS IN IRELAND
THE GLOSS and Theshopkeepers.com launch 2023 Best Shops Ireland campaign
Following on the extraordinary success and community interest from our Best Shops Ireland campaign last year, we are delighted to continue our partnership with Theshopkeepers.com to find and celebrate unique, creative and inspiring independent shops around Ireland. Extraordinary retailers, from coffee and flower sellers to bookshops and markets. Stores that delight with discovery and inspire browsing. Shops that we visit when we travel around the country or local ones that we love to return to again and again.
We believe it is important to continue to support our communities of local, small and independent shopkeepers that keep our towns and villages vital. Whether in real life or online.
We want to discover lots of lovely shops via your nominations. While we can’t include every shop on our list (it would be way too long!) with the help of our expert panel, we intend to shine a spotlight on the best. So, if you have discovered a fabulous shop, whether it’s a coffee shop, a flower and plant shop, food shop or market, menswear or womenswear boutique, accessories or beauty shop or a vintage, interiors, lifestyle or antique shop, we want you to share your knowledge with us!
PAULA FLYNN, founder of Theshopkeepers.com, the New York-based online global best shop guides, and THE GLOSS team led by, SARAH MC DONNELL, Editor, and SÍOMHA CONNOLLY, Digital Editor.
NOMINATE A BEST SHOP
Travelling around Ireland this summer? If you discover a very special shop you want to support by sharing, submit your nomination using the form below. Or follow us on Instagram @theglossmag and tag your favourite shop using #TheGlossBestShops.