Seeking INSPIRATION for how to make the most of your time off? Here’s our GLOSSY round-up of things to do this weekend …
1. GET a head start on your Christmas shopping at the Temple Bar Gallery and Studio’s Dublin Art Book Fair, November 18-22. As well as a curated selection of the best Irish art, design and photography books, there is also a series of specially programmed events, lectures and debates on related topics, an art exhibition and a pop-up café by The Market Kitchen. See www.templebargallery.com for times and further information.
2. EXPERIENCE Cork City Ballet’s enchanting Swan Lake at Cork Opera House, which opened on Wednesday and continues until Saturday, November 21 (with a matinee on Saturday at 2.30pm). This inimitable production features Ekaterina Bortyakova and Akzhol Mussakhanov as Odette/Odile and Prince Siegfried, as well as lavish costumes direct from the Mariinsky Ballet in St Petersburg. For tickets (€24-€43) see www.corkoperahouse.ie.
3. SEE the recently announced winner of the Hennessy Portrait Prize 2015, Anne Ryder by Vera Klute, oil on canvas, in person at the National Gallery of Ireland. An exhibition of the twelve shortlisted portraits runs until February 14, 2016. The National Gallery of Ireland, Merrion Square West, Dublin 2.
4. EXPLORE how we react and recover from trauma at TRAUMA: BUILT TO BREAK at the Science Gallery, Trinity College, which opened Wednesday and continues until February 21, 2016. Exhibits include works from the artist Jane Prophet, who was stalked for 25 years, and Scarred For Life, an uplifting series of images from people who have embraced their scars and amputations. www.dublin.sciencegallery.com
5. SHELTER from the elements (and the end of Storm Barney) at The Westin Dublin’s cosy Mint Bar, which has just launched its seasonal cocktail menu offering sweet treats like this Candy Cane Martini (pictured) and the gingerbread-flavoured Crimbopolitan. €11 each. The Westin Dublin, College Green, Dublin 2.
Love THEGLOSS.ie? Sign up to our MAILING LIST now for a roundup of the latest fashion, beauty, interiors and entertaining news from THE GLOSS MAGAZINE’s daily dispatches.