Have you got a beauty advent calendar for christmas 2022 yet? Here’s the lowdown on these six luxury calendars …
1. Just launched, the luxury Brown Thomas Beauty Advent Calendar (€300) features 25 skincare, make-up, fragrance and haircare products. The box, a giant take on the Brown Thomas Grafton Street store, contains a mix of full size and travel sizes from names like Charlotte Tilbury, Augustinus Bader, Dr Barbara Sturm, Hourglass, NARS, Laura Mercier and a few fragrance favourites too. It’s a good way to try out a wide range of different items, and they’ll be filling your make-up bag for months to come. I find the drawers themselves are quite stiff and tricky to open – though this could add to the suspense? – but rest assured, you won’t be disappointed on December 25 … See the full line-up (spoiler alert) here: www.brownthomas.com.
2. Charlotte Tilbury is always an option when you’re looking for pure glamour, and her Diamond Chest of Beauty Stars (€185) is both beautiful and useful. I had one last year, and still use the little drawers for keeping lipsticks and jewellery in. In this year’s pink version, there are five full size products, including the excellent Beauty Light Wand and matte lipstick in Catwalking, plus seven travel-size treats. In the Christmas collection, there are plenty of options for either more euros or less; we’d be happy with a trio of mini lipsticks, or one of the stunning Hypnotising Pop Shots for eyes, each at €30. www.charlottetilbury.com
3. Jo Malone London. At €405, this set of drawers is a serious investment. It’s very smart in signature cream and black, and could be reused as a jewellery box. There are lots of tiny candles and mini scents in here, plus a mini JML snowglobe, which I could live without. You do get a 30ml cologne, worth €62, but personally I’d probably rather just choose a bottle of my favourite cologne (I’m partial to the fizzy, sparkling Earl Grey & Cucumber, and winter favourite Orange Bitters is a good choice too, €130 for 100ml). Elegant but undeniably pricey. www.brownthomas.com
4. L’Occitane. The Provencal brand’s advent calendars are as beautiful and thoughtful as ever, and start from €65. We love the reusable fabric (recycled cotton) one (€190) – and yes it features the divine Immortelle Divine Cream. If you bought one last year, you can even buy a set of refill products (€140, available online), thus saving on packaging, which we applaud. We also love the Luxury Calendar (currently on special offer at €115) with its mini drawers and ingenious design. There’s everything in there, from ultra rich shea body cream to Relaxing Pillow Mist, Cherry Blossom shower gel and some beautiful eaux de toilette. Treat yourself … www.loccitane.com
5. Don’t forget The Body Shop’s calendars (from €85), which donates a percentage of profits going to children’s rights organisation Children on the Edge. Read more here … www.thegloss.ie.
6. The Rituals calendar is great value at €69.50, at their stores nationwide and Arnotts. It’s not as reusable, perhaps, but you get more product: there’s 24 items in there, with a range of body oils, shower gels and mini candles galore. Browse at Rituals’ newest store in Dundalk, just opened this August. TIP: Don’t miss their candles, while you’re there – the Scented Candles in coloured fluted glass are reduced to €16 at the moment (www.rituals.com), while the Private Collection, in heavy black glass jars, such as Sacred Saffron (€32.50), are just as good-looking as many far pricier luxury ones. www.arnotts.ie