The PARTIES that were the talk of the town in 2017 …
1. The Met Gala: Celebrating Rei Kawakubo of Commes des Garçons, this year’s Met Gala saw several new partnerships debut on the red carpet. Naomi Campbell walked with Edward Enninful of Vogue and Jennifer Lopez’s plus one was Alex Rodriguez. Avant-garde dressing and diversity were to the fore.
2. The 87th Oscars: It was Graydon Carter’s last time to host Vanity Fair’s Oscar party, held in a custom-designed space at the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts. Politics were front of mind; Meryl Streep’s impassioned speech at the Oscar ceremony, about the newly-elected president, was the talk of the town.
3. Chanel in Naples: Villa Lauro, was the gorgeous setting for Chanel’s spectacular SS18 beauty launch and party. Global creative designer Lucia Pica, Caroline de Maigret, models and actresses danced to tunes spun by Neneh Cherry in rooms festooned with ancient frescoes and on terraces overlooking Vesuvius and the island of Capri, posing with the giant yellow double CCs. We’re calling yellow the colour of next season …
4. Olympia of Greece’s 21st birthday: The dress code asked guests to “revolutionise” their party wear. India Hicks used body paint under a tuxedo and the birthday girl teamed Gucci trainers with a transparent gown. The hashtag was #5021; it being a joint party with Prince Pavlos who celebrated his 50th. Dad dancing was suddenly cool.
5. Kildare Village: Kildare Village’s From The Isle party featured Nikki Tibbles-designed floral installations, Sweet Pea gin cocktails, quotes by WB Yeats on slates and dinner, a masterpiece of Irish produce and talent, by Lens & Larder.
Love THEGLOSS.ie? Sign up to our MAILING LIST now for a roundup of the latest fashion, beauty, interiors and entertaining news from THE GLOSS MAGAZINE’s daily dispatches.