Beauty editor SARAH HALLIWELL reveals the best MATTE LIPSTICKS to wear now …
A bold and bright matte lip colour worn with bare skin and not much around the eyes is a modern way to wear make-up at every age. The trouble is that they can be drying, especially if you’re not 20: they can look a bit chalky and sink into lines as the day goes on. We want the bold colour, but need a lip-treating moisturising boost at the same time. We’ve tried out every matte going, and here are the formulas that do everything we need, with bells on… In no particular order:
1. If you’re a matte fan, you’re always searching for something as good as MAC, particularly reds. I collect MAC reds obsessively, with adored favourites including Scarlet Ibis (was the 2011 Iris Apfel collection the best ever?), Mangrove and the untouchably gorgeous Carmine Rouge. From €17 at www.theloop.ie.
2. I have a weakness for L’Oréal Colour Riche Matte Addiction lipsticks: the colours, the smell (like sweet violets) and the price, €11.99. The jojoba oil means they’re not drying, and the shades are great, from nudes for all skin tones to plums and reds.
3. Nars PowerMatte Liquid Lip Pigment. Look out for this new lip formula from the colour masters at Nars. On first try, it’s quite strange – far more runny than you’d imagine for this kind of long-stay colour. But stay it does – and if you’re a red fan, Light My Fire is the perfect true bright red. €26, from September 1.
4. Lancôme Matte Shakers are everything lipstick should be – playful, fun and quick to apply, with its spongy tip applicator. The easiest to zip on at traffic lights for an instant splash of colour. €22.50.
5. Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet matte lipsticks are the perfect texture, not to mention the most luxurious click-up case in beauty. We have many, many favourite shades, but this winter’s First Light went straight into the top ten – it’s a pure bright orange-red that means you could go out wearing a binbag and still look glamorous. €35. And don’t forget Chanel’s brilliant Lip Inks of last year, which have inspired a raft of liquid mattes.
6. Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Lip, €7.99. Our tester raved about this and has not stopped wearing it – it has a surprisingly liquidy texture for a matte lipstick, and takes a little painting on – but once on, it does not move, whether you’re having breakfast, coffee or a full three-course dinner… It doesn’t feel drying and the shades are spot-on; go full-on with Fire Starter, a no-compromise red. It’s the epitome of “go big or go home” make-up.
Love THEGLOSS.ie? Sign up to our MAILING LIST now for a roundup of the latest fashion, beauty, interiors and entertaining news from THE GLOSS MAGAZINE’s daily dispatches.