This summer, pick up a copy of ‘COOK with Neven Maguire’, a gorgeous recipe collection devised by chef Neven Maguire to reflect the quality and taste of the amazing SIMPLY BETTER COLLECTION at Dunnes Stores …
One of the nicest ways to mark summer, with longer evenings and a more relaxed schedule, is to host the odd impromptu supper with good friends, and simple but delicious food, quickly and easily prepared. If you’re shopping in Dunnes Stores, pick up a copy of ‘COOK with Neven Maguire’, a gorgeous recipe collection devised by chef Neven Maguire to reflect the quality and taste of the amazing Simply Better Collection at Dunnes. As well as delicious recipes, the magazine features Simply Better ‘Food Heroes’ the food producers involved in bringing the best quality food to homes across Ireland. There are 350 products in the collection, with plans to introduce 100 new products this year, many from small producers, like Robert Bullock from Le Patissier, Owen Mullins from Zanna Cookhouse, Vincent Carton from Manor Farm and Richard Murphy from Shellfish Ireland, West Cork who sources the Simply Better Cooked Irish Lobster, Tiger Prawns and Crab. Here’s a taste ….
Irish Crab, Avocado & Mango Salad
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
225g Simply Better Irish crab meat, well picked over
2 tbsp Simply Better handmade tomato country relish
2 tbsp Simply Better cold pressed Irish rapeseed oil
1 tsp Simply Better Spanish orange blossom honey
1 tsp Simply Better balsamic vinegar of Modena
50ml low fat mayonnaise
1 large, ripe avocado
1 tsp chopped fresh coriander
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
9 cherry tomatoes quartered (preferably vine ripened)
2 Little Gem lettuces trimmed and shredded
1 small, firm, ripe mango, peeled and cut into thin strips
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Set aside 4 teaspoons of the mayonnaise in a bowl to use as a garnish. Place 2 tablespoons of the remaining mayonnaise in a liquidizer or mini food processor. Cut the avocado in half and scoop out the flesh, then add to the food processor with 1 tablespoon of the tomato country relish and the chopped coriander and blitz until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover with cling film and chill until needed.
2. Mix the reserved mayonnaise to use as a garnish with the remaining tablespoon of the tomato country relish, the lemon juice and lemon rind. Place in a bowl, cover with cling film and chill until needed.
3. Mix together the rapeseed oil, orange blossom honey and balsamic vinegar in a bowl and season to taste. Fold in the cherry tomatoes, cover with cling film and set aside at room temperature to allow the flavours to develop.
4. Using two forks, shred the crab meat, discarding any pieces of shell.
5. To serve, spoon some of the avocado mayonnaise into the bottom of six glasses. Put a layer of the lettuce leaves on top, then scatter over the mango, followed by the marinated tomatoes. Spoon over the crab meat in an even layer and garnish with the tomato mayonnaise.
Set on plates to serve.
Crème Pots with Seasonal Berries
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
6 Simply Better free range corn fed egg yolks
150g Simply Better Spanish orange blossom honey
1 cinnamon stick
Rind of 1 lemon
Rind of 1 orange
2 tbsp Demerara sugar
Seasonal berries, such as raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, to serve.
1. Place the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl with the honey. Using a hand-held whisk, beat for 5 minutes until thickened. Tip in the cornflour and mix until well combined.
2. Place the milk in a small pan with the cinnamon stick, lemon and orange rind. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 5 minutes.
3. Strain the milk, discarding the cinnamon stick, lemon and orange rind, then gradually whisk the warm milk into the egg and honey mixture. Place in a clean pan set over a low heat. Cook gently for 10-15 minutes, until the custard coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat.
4. Leave to cool, then pour into individual dishes or ramekins and chill for at least 4 hours (or overnight is best) to allow the custard pots to firm up.
5. When ready to serve, sprinkle the tops evenly with the Demerara sugar and caramelise with a blow torch or under a preheated hot grill. Arrange on plates with a nice selection of seasonal berries to serve.
Cooking the perfect steak
Season with Simply Better Seasonings, the perfect condiments for adding flavour to your steaks.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 pack of Simply Better 28 day matured Irish Angus rib eye steaks
Simply Better Sicilian DOP Val Di Mazara extra virgin olive oil
Simply Better organic garlic & herb seasoning
Knob of butter
1. Remove the packaging from your Simply Better Irish Angus Steaks and allow the steaks to breathe at room temperature for a minimum of 10-15 minutes before cooking.
2. Drizzle a little olive oil over the steaks and season with Simply Better organic garlic & herb seasoning just before cooking.
3. Preheat a heavy-based pan over a high heat. Sear the steaks on both sides, reduce the heat to medium and cook for time indicated below depending on your preference:
RARE: 2 – 4 minutes each side
MEDIUM: 4 – 5 minutes each side
WELL DONE: 5 – 6 minutes each side
4. Add a knob of butter to the pan close to the end of the cooking time and allow to foam a little. Use this to baste the steaks.
5. Transfer the steaks to a plate and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Love THEGLOSS.ie? Sign up to our MAILING LIST now for a roundup of the latest fashion, beauty, interiors and entertaining news from THE GLOSS MAGAZINE’s daily dispatches.